Tuesday, March 23, 2010

You Shall be Called by a New Name

Dear friends,
I trust you are well. I have been teaching out of Acts for several months now and I haven't quite finished chapter 4. I was reading about the apostles giving Joseph a new name, Barnabas, which is often translated "son of encouragement or consolation". Bar means son and nabas means encouragement, consolation, or prophecy. I personally believe he was given that name because he was operating prophetically, but that's another message. I want to talk about name changes today. I believe this will encourage you.

You shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord will name. Isaiah 62:2b

Back in the 90's I heard that Paul Yongi Cho had changed his name to David because the Lord told him to. As has happened to me a few times over the years my religious perceptions were disturbed. I was familiar with the success of his ministry and that he was a man of prayer, but this just didn't seem right. Over the next few years I would discover that God was in the name changing business. In the mid nineties I heard Jack Taylor do a teaching on destiny names which impacted my life. Jack had first heard the teaching from a young man pastoring in Vermont, Jim Sneyder. I preached at a campmeeting sometime later with Jim and heard him do the teaching and God confirmed some things for me. You don't have to search the scriptures long to find that God changing one's name was not too uncommon. In Genesis we see Abram's name changed to Abraham, meaning "father of multitudes" and Sarai to Sarah meaning "princess".
Then we see Jacob wrestling with the angel of the Lord. Jacob refused to let go (even in great pain) until he was blessed.

And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." But he said,"I will not let You go unless You bless me." So He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob." And He said your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed." Genesis 32:26-28

Jacob's name meant "heel grabber, supplanter" and the Lord changed his name to Israel meaning "the prince that prevails with God." God's names are prophetic; they speak to our destiny. God changed Abram's name to Abraham before Isaac was born. Our parents may have named us according to a name in the family, or a whim, or a name that was popular. I'm sure some people really pray and listen to God concerning their children's names, but that is probably the exception rather than the rule. In Hebrew culture children were usually named according to some circumstance regarding their birth or the time of their birth. I've come to believe that the most impactful name is not the name given at our birth, but the names and labels, put on us by those close to us, the world, and yes, even ourselves. Let me give you a few examples:
Some people wear the name "Rejected" like a banner. What does this name do? It just sets them up for further rejection. Some people have the name "Stupid", some "You never do anything right", "You'll never amount to anything". They really become ungodly mindsets that destroy your faith and your destiny in God.

In Isaiah 62 God is speaking to His people and telling them that He is changing their name. In the eyes of the world and even in their own eyes they had been named "Forsaken" and their country "Desolate". The Lord says I'm taking that name away and giving you the name Hephzibah, "The Lord delights in you" and your land will be called Beulah, "Married." The Lord delights in you and your country is His bride. He dances over you with joy. You know it is hard for so many to think that God feels that way about them. I just thought about Luke 10 where the 70 returned so excited because demons fled in the name of Jesus. In verse 21 it says, In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit.... The word rejoiced there is much more graphic in the Greek. It is the word, "agalliao" which means," To exult, leap for joy, to show one's joy by leaping and skipping denoting excessive or ecstatic joy and delight." He got excited and when you walk in truth He gets excited about you!

I believe the Lord wants to give some of you a new name today. It maybe that we have to recognize what we have been named so we can renounce it and receive our new name. I don't think the angel of the Lord , believed to be the preincarnate Christ didn't know what Jacob's name was. He came to ambush Jacob. The Lord is asking you, "What is your name?" He's not asking for Tim or Jim, but what is that name that's been put on you which keeps you from your destiny in God. Be honest. Renounce it and ask God for the name He wants to give you. Hephzibah, "my delight is in you". There is so much more we could say about names, labels, and ungodly beliefs, but I am sure you see what I am saying. God wants you to have a new name. He talks in Revelation about us being given a new name which no one know except to whom it is given. God is into names. His name represents His character and there is a name for you that speaks destiny and potential. Be blessed today.
In His love,
Herb Dean

No comments: