Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Having done all, stand

Dear friends,
I pray that you are well. As I have opportunity to meet people, I've found that if we get beyond surface conversation that they have a story. Too often, we never get to know people well enough to hear their story. Some have great stories of perseverance and encouragement, others have lives that have been continually marred by wrong choices, and some through no fault of their own have been ambushed with life's problems. There are so many people that are hurting. Some need help, but they all need hope. Hope comes from experience with the faithfulness and character of God. Some find themselves in situations where they don't know what to do. Even as Christians we find ourselves asking, "What do I do?" Today, I would like to offer a few thoughts on "what to do when, I don't know what to do."

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 4:13

It is easy enough to say that when you don't know what to do, stand! What does it mean to stand? This reference in Ephesians is a very familiar passage and gives keen insight to spiritual warfare. Many have gotten up for years and symbolically put their armor on. There is nothing wrong with that, it may well encourage some people's faith, but you really don't have to put on what you never took off. All of those things have to do with being in Christ. He is the truth; He is our righteousness; He is our peace; Faith comes by His spoken word; He is our salvation; the sword is His spoken word. We are in Christ. We see Moses could not view God's goodness (glory) except he be hidden in the cleft of the rock. That rock is Jesus. If we cannot handle even a glimpse of His glory in our flesh, neither can we withstand the full onslaught of the enemy except we be "in Christ".
In the passages of Ephesians 6:10-19 The word "stand" is used 3 times. We are not to run; we are not to fall; we are to stand. It is interesting that Paul describes us being all suited up in Christ (our armor) and what is the command? Stand. When people get suited up in armor, it is for going to war. Did Paul say go into battle? One might say no, but in verse 18, Paul says, "praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit". Prayer is the battle.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is pray. It seems that when in a crisis we tend to exhaust all human possibilities before we turn to God in prayer. Paul is saying that when the onslaught of the enemy comes, stand in Christ and pray in the Spirit not just in tongues, but all prayers. We are suited in Christ and Christ is in us and greater is He in us than he that is in the world. So when trouble comes knocking, let Jesus answer the door. So what do I do when I don't know what to do? First, I must stand. Do not back up or back down. Do not quit. Secondly, I must pray, but thirdly I must praise.

1. Stand
2. Pray
3. Praise

We looked briefly at the first two, now let's look at praise. I have written many times about 2 Chronicles 20 because it has been so meaningful in my life, but allow me to visit part of it again today.You know the story; three enemies were about to attack Judah.(Our enemies are three as well, the world, the flesh, and the devil.) There was no way they were prepared for such an attack. Jehoshaphat called a solemn assembly to fast and pray and seek the Lord. God responded by speaking through a prophet. I won't go into the whole prophetic word, just the first part of verse 17, "You will not need to fight in the battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, Who is with you O Judah and Jerusalem!"
The next day they sent the praisers out first and the Lord ambushed their enemies and a great victory was won against impossible odds. We are told in 1 Thessalonians 5 that it is the will of God for us to give thanks in everything and Ephesians 5:20 to be giving thanks always for all things to God the Father.

There may be someone in the pit of despair today. Self-pity will not deliver you. It will only get worse. There are times when a simple prayer of "help me" will be answered, but I have found for those who are walking in a measure of maturity, that God sometimes says, "Get up off the ground! Stand up and be who I called you to be." I remember a time a few years back when there were several situations working against me in my life. I became more and more discouraged until I was wallowing in self-pity. The Lord basically said,"Stop it, get up and fight. I began to pray and take authority over the things He had given me authority. I prayed His word and began to praise Him. Not only was there an immediate lift in my spirit, but the situations began to change. From time to time I have visited the valley of despair, but my visits have been fewer and shorter since I learned to stand. I have shared this before, but it applies "If you want to escape the low places enter into God's high praises." Stand and see the salvation of the Lord.

May the knowledge of God's love encourage your heart today. He is faithful. Don't give up or give in. You are sons and daughters of the king.
In His love,
Herb Dean

No comments: