Friday, June 5, 2009

A lesson from the fish tank

Dear friends,
I hope things are well with you. As I mentioned the other day I was praying about sending out prophetic words and insights to those who read these letters and teachings. I heard from a few people who encouraged me to go for it and some of them even had situations in their lives where they needed to hear from God. I was not sure how to go about it, but I believe that some times God will give specific words to people I communicate with and other times it will be a more general word that may apply to many or may apply to a situation one of you maybe dealing with. As I was preparing for Sunday's message I felt strongly that something I saw yesterday was a prophetic picture for someone who reads these letters so I am sending it out to you. I pray that you will be encouraged.

Yesterday I had to be in north Macon to call on a couple of businesses I serve as a chaplain. While I was there I decided to take a few minutes and go by the Bass Pro Shop. As many of you know these stores always have a large aquarium with varieties of fish that are usually indigenous to that area. While I was in the store they announced they were about to feed the fish. Included in the tank were some very large bass, two walleyes, and some gar. There were other breeds, but they were not carnivorous. I noticed up at the top of the tank there were a number of minnows swimming peacefully. None of the fish seemed interested in them. They then began to throw live minnows into the tank ranging from two to five inches long. The minnows who swam peacefully were not attacked. It was only those who sped up and began to swim erratically that the bass ate. There were some who took off to avoid the fish behind them only to swim in to the mouth of another bass in front of them. The whole time I watched I was expecting the bass to eventually go after those swimming peacefully near the top of the pool, but they never did. So what is the relevance of this experience to someone today?

There are some of you who are facing some serious situations. To you they appear big and dangerous and there is the tendency to panic; even to have panic attacks. The Lord is saying today to set your mind on Him and He will give you peace. Fear is your enemy and will set you on a destructive course. Some are running and the Lord is saying, "Slow down; get your perspective right. It is no time to panic. Don't make your decision out of fear." The Lord has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 The psalmist said what time I am afraid I will trust in thee. Psalm 56:3 Remember the minnows swimming peacefully at the top of the pool. You are above and not beneath, over and not under. You are seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus far above all rule and authority. Be encouraged the Lord knows what you are going through and He is with you.

Pray for me that I will be sensitive to the Lord and confident in hearing Him. I pray that these writings will speak to you and be an encouragement to you. Let me know if I can pray for you or be of any service.
In His love,
Herb Dean

No comments: