Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Ministry of Encouragement

The Ministry of Encouragement

We are entering a time when there is a great need for encouragement in the body of Christ. When the word prophecy is used today, it is usually in reference to the "end times". Prophesying has been defined as declaring truth or forth-telling. It is those things, but it is so much more. I would say from experience that out of the few hundred that may read this there are some who are going through struggles. There are times when we need an audible voice revealing the heart of God for us in a situation. One of the great roles of the prophetic in the body of Christ is to be a "ministry of encouragement." I would like to share a little today on the prophetic gift.

But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 1 Cor. 14:3

New Testament prophecy was not given to declare judgement and condemnation; it was given as a gift, a blessing to be an encouragement to the believer. Look at those three words:
1. Edification- given for the purpose of building up. Edify means literally to build, to place one brick upon another.
2. Exhortation- to call along side to help. It comes from the same words as "parakletos" which is the word for the Holy Spirit. Jesus said, "I'll send you another helper." The word there is parakletos. To encourage, to help.
3. Comfort- Literally means to "cheer up"
We could say prophecy builds up, helps up, and cheers up. We all need these things in our lives. In much of the church this invaluable gift is not in operation or is not understood.

In Acts 4:36,37 we see a man named Joses or Joseph, who the apostles renamed Barnabas which is translated "Son of Encouragement" or "Son of Consolation". In Hebrew the "bar" means "son" and "nabas" means "encouragement, consolation, or prophecy." Barnabas could have just as easily been translated "Son of Prophecy." Why do you think the apostles called him that? He must have been prophetic; he must have been an encourager. In fact, in Acts 13:1 it says that certain prophets and teachers had gathered at Antioch. Barnabas was among them. Which do you think he was?

Paul placed great emphasis on prophecy. Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 1 Cor. 14:1 There are at least three schools of thought out there. Most would fall into one of these three:
1. Cessationists- They believe that the gifts are no longer in operation. They ceased with the death of the apostles.
2. Those who believe the gifts are still available. They would say that they are open to the gifts, but they don't seek them.
3. Those who believe the gifts are for today and they seek to operate in them.
The word desire in 1Cor. 14:1 is a strong word. It means to earnestly desire or covet. So according to the writing of Paul, it is not enough to be open, but we are to seek spiritual gifts. That seeking is never for exaltation of one's self or to the exclusion of the giver, but the desire to see His body edified. Gifts are "power tools" given to build the body of Christ. It is much easier to build a house with power tools than just a hammer, a hand saw, and an axe.

Years ago, I planted a church. The church was about three years old when because of a doctrinal issue and another pastor coming to town that about half the church left. Most of the ones that left were tithers and the income of the church dropped by 60%. The amount coming in each month was now less than my salary. I was very discouraged and was inquiring of the Lord what I should do. I thought about shutting down or finding a job. I really had four questions that I was asking of the Lord. I had heard about a church in Atlanta where they had prophetic teams minister to your people, so I called them and set up a time. These people knew nothing about our circumstances. As they began to prophesy over me every question was specifically answered. "God started this church and He doesn't want it stopped." They placed their hands on my hands and said that these hands were to do nothing else, but the ministry of the gospel. I left greatly encouraged and strengthened in the Lord. In fact, had it not been for the Lord speaking through these people, I might very well have given up. I have seen the Lord use prophecy in my life to encourage me and praise God, He has spoken through me to encourage others as well. I am fully persuaded of the necessity of prophecy in the church today.

It is my desire to encourage you. I am praying about sending out prophetic words on a regular basis as often as God may give them for the people who read these teachings. Would you pray with me on that. I know there are people out there that need to know that God still knows their address and that He is concerned with the situation they are dealing with. To give them hope that yes, the prodigal is coming home. The pain you are dealing with will last for a season, but God is going to use your deliverance to minister to others. They need to know that God has given them a purpose and a destiny. I appreciate your encouragement and your prayers. May you be greatly blessed of the Lord.

No comments: