Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hello from Herb Dean


Dear friends, fellow ministers, and prayer warriors,

I pray that things are well with you. I am writing today simply to touch base with you and let you know what I am doing. Some of you don't really know me and some of you know me well. It is a wonderful thing to be in the service of the Lord, but it is not without times of adversity, challenge, and transition. As some of you know I relinquished my pastoral responsibilities last year. I did not do this because I wanted to get out of the ministry, because I was mad at anyone, or because I was asked to do so. I did so because I felt the Lord wanted me to change course and develop ministry in other areas. It was somewhat terrifying to look at starting over at age 62 and I would be lying if I said I walked in great faith all of last year. Physically, it was a difficult year. My mother nearly died from cancer and was in the hospital for weeks. Financially because of the lack of income it was a difficult year. So ,yes, there were times of great discouragement and wavering as to whether I had heard God and made the right choice. One of the things I know God is doing in me is bringing me back to that place of simple trust. You see, I had gotten somewhat comfortable. I was not walking in the same levels of faith I once did. There were times when I did not have to nickels to rub together

and I was seeing the power of God released in my life. I am not saying we need to take a vow of poverty. What I am saying is, we are in a season where the foundations are being shaken and God wants us to return to that place where our faith is completely and totally in Him. Those things that we have held on to or leaned upon may well be taken away from us. The kingdom of God is received with the trust of a child.


I, no longer aspire to building some mega church or fill stadiums with people coming to hear the "man of God". I used to desire those things because there was that need in me to be affirmed, to feel like I was somebody. I am learning to rest in the affirmation of the Father, that I am His beloved son in whom He is well-pleased. I have not arrived and I would be lying if I said I was completely free from the desire of the praise of men, but God is doing that maturing work. My heart is to produce disciples who will go beyond where I have gone. I love preaching and teaching the word and seeing the light come on in someone's eyes. I love to pray for people and through words of knowledge or prophetic words see a burden lifted or a broken heart mended. I want to say this in a way that does not sound boastful, for if I boast let my boast be in the Lord. I am nothing apart from Him and have only what I have received from Him. He has made a deposit in me and it so blesses me when someone draws from that deposit. I believe God has given me gifts to impart. I tried building churches for a while, very unsuccessfully I might add; I want to spend my remaining days building people.


I am presently seeking direction from the Lord. I am open to pastoring again if God plants me there. I

would love to take a group of hungry men and disciple them. I am open to be a teaching elder in a church or ministry. I love intinerant ministry but you can't be an itinerant minister if you are not itinerating, and I've been out of circulation for a long time. I do think I would be a blessing to your church, not because of who I am, but because of who He is in me. Every attempt I have ever made to promote myself has failed, so I look to God to speak to your heart if it fits His purposes concerning me and concerning your people. I do not believe Ephesians 4:13 can be fulfilled without the cross-pollination of ministries. We are each necessary parts of the whole. I covet your prayers and your prayerful consideration. I simply put my name out there. One of my mentors once said that you can't expect people to be spiritual enough to find you. If you would like to have me come, just send me an e-mail. If you know of or have an opening you think I might fit, please let me know. Lastly, I know some of you will pray for me for which I am greatly appreciative. If I may pray for you, please let me know. May the Lord bless you greatly.

In His love,

Herb Dean

1 comment:

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

Praying for you and Danna as you seek God and He prepares you for the next adventure He has for you both! Love you guys!