Friday, February 8, 2013

Jesus in the House

      Just saw a book title,  Jesus Killed My Church.  That provoked a few thoughts I would like to share. I don't know what was in the book, but I suspect he'll share some of what I'll share here. The first thing I see wrong there is that he had taken ownership of the church. The church belongs to Jesus and Jesus said He would build it. Too many churches have been man built.
      I guess the main thing I thought about was the presence of God. I remember a minister whose church had experienced genuine revival said, "One day Jesus showed up and I don't think the ushers meant to seat Him." That church and its pastor were radically impacted by the Lord's presence. When I say the Lord's presence, do not confuse that with the Lord's omnipresence. I know God is everywhere. He is also in us by His Spirit. Yes, God is always there, but it is different when God chooses to reveal His glory. It is the revelation of His glory that reveals that we fall short. The revelation of His glory reveals and exposes. Flesh cannot handle His glory. When His glory was revealed in the dedicating of Solomon's temple the priests could not stand to minister. Moses had to be hidden in the cleft of the rock (a type of Christ). When Isaiah had his God encounter the temple was filled with smoke which represents God's glory. The words of this established prophet were "Woe is me for I am undone for I am a man of unclean lips dwelling among a people of unclean lips".
Job, who was described as a perfect and upright man who hated evil, had a God encounter and He could only say, " I have heard of You with the hearing of the ear, but now I see You and I abhor myself and I repent in sackcloth and ashes." Peter recognizing that Jesus was more than an ordinary man, said "Depart from me for I am a sinful man, Oh Lord." 
       Yes, the arrival of Jesus would be destructive to many churches. I have been in meetings when the Spirit of God was brooding over a congregation. The Spirit would begin to move, but instead of flowing with what God was beginning to do the leadership quickly took things back to the program. It is as if they were saying "Lord, You can move as long as You don't disrupt the program and we have to be through in time for the second service." Is it any wonder churches are not experiencing revival? They have great music, great preachers, and many wonderful people but everything is orchestrated. It is a controlled environment. Many pastors are afraid of losing control. Part of it is ignorance, but a major part is fear. Everything must be done decently and in order so we stick to the program. We like things safe and don't want things messy.  "Where there is no ox the stall is clean, but there is much increase by reason of the ox."  "Lord, we want you to build your church; come and take Your rightful place. Do what seems right to You." If we allow Him to be who He is in our midst then He will do what He does.
        If Jesus kills your church it's a good thing. He is then free to build His and His will storm the gates of Hell. The secret to church growth is Jesus in the house.

No comments: