Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Psalm for Today: Psalms 8:3,4

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him and the son of man that You visit him?" Psalms 8: 3,4

I ponder sometimes the vastness of the universe. Our planet is in a solar system in a galaxy called the Milky Way. The sun which is our closest star is some 93 million miles away. The next closest star is some 26 trillion miles away and there are approximately 100 million stars in our galaxy. Our galaxy is an average size galaxy and now they say there are probably millions of galaxies. Consider this, as well, that even as the universe is infinitesimally large, it is infinitesimally small as well.  Everything is composed of atoms. Atoms are made up of neutrons, protons, and electrons. They say these components are composed of what is called quarks. You get the idea; it is absolutely mindboggling. I, as a man am but a tiny speck of dust on a speck of dust yet I have been called, chosen, and set apart by the one who spoke all this into existence. By virtue of my faith in the finished work of Christ His only begotten Son, I have been given the awesome privilege of becoming a son of the most high God.
We can even draw near to Him in intimacy, "Abba Father". Yes, when I consider the majesty that He has created I can ask ,"Who am I that You are mindful of me?" O Lord, our Lord how majestic is they name in all the earth!

No comments: