Monday, June 23, 2014

Psalm for Today: Psalms 23:1

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalms 23:1

These are comforting words to those who are sheep. He is the Good Shepherd who lays down his life for His sheep. If He freely gave his life for us; would he not freely give us all things? He cares for His sheep and sees to it that they have everything they need. I remember a few things from reading the book,  A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm by Phillip Keller. He has some wonderful insights about sheep and shepherds. One thing I remember him talking about is when a sheep gets cast down or on his back. He cannot get off his back on his own. If he is on his back too long gases build up in his body and he'll die. When the good shepherd finds one on his back he will lift him up and set him back on his feet and will massage him until the gas is dissipated. Why should we be downcast if in Him we have all that we need? He is the Good Shepherd; He will pick you up and put you back on your feet. He leads us to what we need and protects from our enemies.  He is Jehovah Rohe, the Lord our Shepherd and he is all we need.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've read that same book and I marveled at how helpless sheep could be in certain situations. Good thoughts!

Graham said...

You know how I tend to be cast down, sweet husband. I am thankful for my Good Shepherd who sets me on my feet again and for my shepherd husband who tenderly helps me as well. Thank you for this Psalm for Today. How timely! Love you.