Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Psalm for Today: Psalms 43:5

A Psalm for Today: Psalms 43:5
Why are You cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.


I love the Psalms because the writer expresses his true feelings and so often I identify with them. If we are honest, we all get depressed or discouraged from time to time. I've found that most often it is because I have taken my eyes off God and put them on my external circumstances. When we do that, like Peter, we get that sinking feeling. The terminology in this psalm are the words of a shepherd. A "cast" sheep is one who has fallen on his back and cannot right himself. A sheep will die if he is cast for too long because body gases build up inside him. The Good Shepherd finds the sheep, sets him on his feet, and massages him until things are back right in his system. When circumstances attempt to cast us down, we must remember that our hope is in our Shepherd. We would do well to praise Him before the fact because He has already defeated the enemy of our soul and has given us everything that pertains life and godliness. He is our glory and the lifter of our head. Cast all your care upon Him for He cares for you.

No comments: